Doritos Style Chips

Pictured: Sour cream and onion flavor didn’t last long near my taste testers.

When you left your high-carb lifestyle, you didn’t have to leave crunch behind. Now, with the nacho chip recipe and some popcorn salts, you can savor the flavor of Doritos and celebrate like it was 1999 (and not your waistline measurements).
These chips travel well in lunches and can be stored at room temperature in a loose bag or an open container for up to a week. With so many flavors of popcorn seasoning (see below), you can go from zippy to zesty, to tangy to sweet in an instant to change a mood, and make various single-serving sized of flavored chips to please even the pickiest bunch.

Low-carb, gluten-free and corn-free (this could change with the seasoning, so read labels!), you can use up that extra zucchini from the garden, or pop open a frozen bag of cauliflower and take your tastebuds to town.

Your only regret? You’ll wish you’d made more.

Zucchini Doritos-style chips
1 large zucchini, shredded
2 eggs
2 cups cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Grease 2 cookie sheets.
3. Cut ends from zucchini. Shred. Mix with egg and cheese. Make 6-8” circles on greased cookie sheet(s). Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. Loosen and flip the circles.
4. Bake for another 5 minutes at 450 degrees.
5. With a pizza cutter, cut rounds into triangles (about 6 per round).
6. Let cool on a rack for 6-8 hours in a cool oven.
7. To store, keep loosely in a bag or a plastic container in the refrigerator or on the counter. Best used within a week of preparation.
8. After chips have dried substantially, in a plastic container toss with popcorn seasoning for desired flavor.

Makes 36 chips.

Nutritional Information:(Per 12 chips, 1/3 of recipe): Calories: 151, Carbohydrates: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Net Carbohydrates: 1 g, Protein: 10 g, Fat: 13 g

Cauliflower Doritos-style chips
1 16 ounce bag of cauliflower, shredded, chopped or riced
3 eggs
3 cups cheese

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

2. Grease 2 cookie sheets.
3. Shred. Mix with egg and cheese. Make 6-8” circles on greased cookie sheet(s). Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. Loosen and flip the circles.
4. Bake for another 5 minutes at 450 degrees.
5. With a pizza cutter, cut rounds into triangles (about 6 per round).
6. Let cool on a rack for 6-8 hours in a cool oven.

Makes 72 chips.

Nutritional Information (Per 12 chips, 1/6 of recipe): Calories: 239, Carbohydrates: 4g, Fiber: 1.5g, Net Carbohydrates: 2.5 g, Protein: 15 g, Fat: 20 g

Worth the effort: If you miss cunch and flavor, a bevy of flavored chips await!

Kernel Seasons Makes popcorn seasoning in many different flavors including the following: Nacho Cheddar, Apple Cinnamon, Jalapeno, White Cheddar, Barbecue, Sour Cream & Onion, and more!

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! These are delicious, and really do come in handy when I need to bite something crunchy! Thank you so much for posting the recipe!

2. Fitterby40 says:

Cleo how big is a large zucchini cup wise or pound wise? I'm asking because mine are huge!

3. cleochatra says:

Hmmm… well, the ones I end up with are about 8-10" long? Usually you can kind of tell after it's shredded, too. A cup of zuke is about the same as a processed cup of cauliflower. (Only the zuke has more water in it)

4. Anonymous says:

What if you cant find popcorn seasoning anywhere around, is there a substitute?

5. These sound fantastic But I was wondering what kind of cheese you used?

6. Anonymous says:

I was also wondering what kind of cheese you used on these as well. They look delicious!

7. Jori Hodgson says:

I totally screwed mine up! I used wax paper on the cookie sheets and they don't want to give from the wax paper. I am really sad right now :( BUT…I'll try attempt number 2 tomorrow :)

8. foxfire1977 says:

Am I doing something wrong, I just made them and they are sticking very badly to the pan/I sprayed alot with pam and waited the 12 min. Please Help they sound so good and the perfect snack to have around to keep carb cravings at bay! :) Thanks

9. cleochatra says:

Hey yo! If the dough is super sticking to the pan, you could try using parchment paper and see whether or not that might yield better results! I think some use Silpat, too! I know I'm pretty rough with the spatula action around the edges. Girl has no time for dough sticking to the pan!

Can I get an amen?

10. Jori Hodgson says:

Mine always stick SO badly too and I can never get them to let go whether I use silpat, directly on the pan with pam, or with wax/parchment paper. I'm angered, lol!

11. cleochatra says:

I feel your pain! Maybe adding a little bit of Parm to the dough might help?

12. Jori Hodgson says:

What should I add? I'm sorry. Wasn't sure if it was a typo for Pam or if I should add parmesan, lol

13. cleochatra says:

What? You can't read my mind? I meant Parmesan. I should never abbreviate. It gets me into trouble every time.

14. Jori Hodgson says:

lol! You crack me up! I love your blog. I actually use your induction recipes for HCG, guess I'm a little unorthodox, but hey!

15. cleochatra says:

I'm the one who keeps baffling the grocery clerks with shopping carts of frozen cauliflower and you're unorthodox?

16. Jori Hodgson says:

I get that too! It's hilarious! I get it with pork rinds too. I can't tell you how many cashiers have asked me "why the heck do you eat pork rinds?? Gross!" Well, maybe ya do know, nevermind ;)

17. La Loca says:

So I tried to make these, cut the recipie in half incase I didnt like them. I used parm regiano cheese. They came out very flexible and never dried. Even after 8 hours, never got crispy. They were very flexable. Did I not get them thin enough or need to do another cheese?

18. candydawn says:

I made these as well and after they were done baking, cut them into slices and let them sit in the cool oven all night long. In the morning, they were still limp, but I didn't have time to do anything with them so I put them in a bag and put them in the fridge. That evening, I took them and put them in our dehydrator for about 5-6 hours. They were absolutely perfect!! They may not have needed that long, but I fell asleep. Also, I used parchment paper when cooking mine and went with the zucchini and I was almost in tears thinking I screwed something up when they were in the oven. Liquid was everywhere! I had to add about 5 minutes to each side with mine too. But in the end, they turned out beautifully. Good luck to all!!

19. bubbles1028 says:

PLEASE help me I really want to try these again, I messed up bad on mine. They are mushy, greasy,and suggy. One of them burned and stuck to pan. They def didn't look like the pic LOL Should I be squeezing the water out of the zug?? What kind of cheese? can I use 2%cheese.

20. Jamie aka Carbarella says:

Definitely squeeze out the water.Let the zukes sit in a colander and dry for a bit, then squeeze and use. Zukes hold a lot of water.

You can use 2% cheese–sure!

21. i know this question has been asked but i have yet to see an answer. what kind of cheese do we use to make these?

22. i know this question has been asked but i have yet to see an answer. what kind of cheese do we use to make these?

23. Jamie aka Carbarella says:

I'd say to go for the Mexican taco cheese mix in a perfect world. I think it's Colby and Monterey Jack? In lieu of that, cheddar and mozzarella work just fine!

• feeling dumb….however, what form is the cheese in to mix with the eggs? melted or normal?
      sincerely, naive college student

24. I tried 3 times and this time I even dryed out the Zucchini and the middle was still very limp IDK what im doing wrong i followed your directions to a tee

25. Jamie aka Carbarella says:

Hey there! Do you have a food dehydrator? If so, definitely pop them in there for a bit (no more than an hour or two). It could be you might live in a slightly more humid area and the chips are sucking up the moisture.

26. sjwnana says:

Well my dear this is on the…TO DO LIST FOR TODAY.. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES..
    HAVE A GOOD ONE.

27. I am a devoted reader from Norway and I really really really (!) want to get theese zucchini-doritos right – as a crunchy, cheesy snack that goes together with salsa or guacamole, is the only thing I do miss on my lc-diet.
    I missed the "press the water out"-bit before I tried to make them this first time, but the limp-ness was solved with having them in the cool oven overnight, and still in the oven, with door slightly open, and temperature only 50 celsius for about 3-4 hours the next day. Maybe it works like a food drier ?
    But – I still think they are not crunchy enough, maybe my zucchini was to big for my two cups of cheese ? Is it about the same amount (50/50) of cheese and zucchini? And how fine is the zucchini supposed to be shredded ? (do you peel it first, or not?)
    Does the doritos work better with cauliflower ?

Thanks in advance !!

28. Jamie aka Carbarella says:

Hey there! It's so nice to meet you, Anett! I think there's going to be a little more cheese than zucchini in this one, about 2 cups cheese to 1.5 cups of zucchini. I hope this helps!

29. I tried these twice. The first time they came out resale limp but I think that was because I did not drain all the water from the zucchini and uses shredded cheddar. The mixture was really runny, the circles however made really good taco shells. The 2nd time they came out so delicious. I made sure to drain as much of the water I could from the zucchini, I beat the eggs and added to zucchini and added 2 cups of parmesan and Romano cheese. They came out crispy and delicious. Tasted good with some homemade salsa

30. I’m going to be using cauliflower with this recipe today….is it 16 oz. fresh or after it’s been cooked? Should I weigh before running through the food processor?

Thanks!

• Hi, Angela! I use a 16 ounce bag of frozen, so I go that route and measure pre-cooking. You would measure pre-cooking for raw, too.

31. I. Love. You. I can’t wait to try these and the taco shells.

32. Can someone please tell me what I may have done wrong. Mine came out looking nothing like the picture. It reminded me of a glob of greasy cheese. I grated 1 zucchini, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, 2 egg whites and baked at 450 for a total of about 18 minutes. Let’s just say it is not a pretty site how bad they came out. Please anyone that can help me, I really would like to give it another shot.

Thanks :)

• Hi, Carrie! I used whole eggs and not just the whites. I’m not sure if that’s the difference? I am sorry yours didn’t turn out. That doesn’t sound like a fun plate of crispy chips!

33. SkyeLala says:

Is that the right recipe for the cauliflower Dorito-style chips? It says to cut the ends from the zucchini.

34. cindy kolberg says:

can’t wait to try these!!!!

35. So I don’t cook the cauli first? just raw & riced?

36. Jamie,
    I love your blog and look forward to your recipes. More about that another time, though, I have a baking emergency!
    I just mixed up a half batch of these chips, and my oven is not working:( Of course, it’s Saturday evening.
    Is there any other way to cook this mixture and have it turn into anything edible?
    I’m going to put it into the frig, and think about putting a tablespoon or two into hot oil in my cast iron skillet. Then maybe on parchment in the microwave?

I was really looking forward to having these tomorrow!

If anyone has any ideas, please leave in the comments.
    Thank you so much.

• Hi, Roxxy! You know, you could maybe fry it in small patties in the pan like hashed browns!

• Hi Jamie,
        Thank you for responding so quickly! I did try to fry a few patties in a pan. They stuck to the pan, but I scraped what I had and put it into the microwave on parchment. They were a little thick and very hard, not crunchy.
        I put the rest of the batter in a small casserole pan, and microwaved it. It was more of a soft casserole. Not the crunch I was looking forward to, but tasty!
        My handy son will fix the oven this week, and I will try again!
        (Till then, one oopsie left!)

I’m going to take this opportunity to thank you for your creativity and ingenuity. I found your site about a week after you started your challenge. I also have dietary restrictions, and was searching for a few recipes to make my return to healthy, low carb lifestyle a little easier.
        When I saw the variety of recipes on your site, I was so excited! I made my shopping list, and immediately made a batch of oopsies! Then breadsticks!

It’s been 7 weeks since I started, and I have lost 16 pounds so far. I never thought I would be eating foods like breadsticks and sandwiches!

Thank you, again!
        Roxxy

• Wow, Roxxy! 17 pounds. I am so proud of all of your hard work! You are so kind to me. Thank you for sharing, and be sure to let me know if there’s anything you don’t see on the site that would make your lifestyle even tastier. I have dozens of new recipes coming soon, and I am really excited about them.

37. Hi Ceci, I am going to try these tonight but I have a suggestion for you. Try laying the shredded zucchini on paper towels and salt them really well. Let them sit for an hour or so and the salt should pull alot of the liquid out of the zucchini. You can rinse the salt off and dry the zucchini before using in this recipe. I’ll try this way also since so many are having a hard time. Also, I’ve found with other cheesy recipies that if I take it off the parchment paper right away and put on a cooling rack it doesn’t have a chance to dry to the paper. Hope this helps.

38. Well, I didn’t have zucc so I tried the cauliflower version. What a disaster! LOL I don’t know why but I ended up with my smoke alarms going off from the grease smoke. When I took them out to flip the bottoms were completely stuck to the pan. I scraped off what I could and flipped that and finished baking. They tasted great. I did cook the cauli first because it was frozen. I drained on papertowels for 30 minutes and then mashed with a fork. Otherwise, I followed the instuctions. Any help will be appreciated. I Love this blog and community. So glad I found you a couple of days ago. I love all of the sharing!

• Hi, Sondy! You must be me in another city dimension. If I’m not setting off smoke detectors, it’s not supper!

It sounds like mashing them with a fork might have retained too much of the liquid. I typically process into a fine couscous to keep some of the starch intact. It also helps release slightly more of the liquid.

• Thanks Jamie, I used frozen cauli. Should i have cooked it or just defrosted? Would a food mill/ricer give me the right consistency? Can’t wait to try again. And I set my smoke alarms off regularly too. Lol
        Also, i made a total of 4 circles. Two per cookie sheet. Is that what you do?

• I found that, for me, even a cheese shredder was enough! In fact, that’s how I made my first low-carb pizzas… a cheese grater. I have the skinned up knuckles to show for it, too. I shred after cooking and then let it cool. And then I squeeze the veg out in my hands to wring out the moisture (You could use a ricer, too).

39. I have made these with Zucchini and Pepper Jack cheese twice now… they are never really crispy… but ohhhh so tasty! Thank you our goddess of goodness!

40. Sandra Dowkes says:

Made both of these – I put Jalepeno shredded cheese with the cauliflower and regular cheddar/mozza with the zucchini. I flattened them good on the baking sheet, cooked them as directed, then cut them up and put them in my dehydrator for a few hours. They weren’t real crispy, but they did the trick – with some bruschetta or spinach artichoke dip? Yum.

41. Hello I am Nancy from Buffalo NY
    This is all new to me, my daughter and I have been doing low carb since January 2,2013 together we have lost 28 punds….she has lost 18 of that! oh youth LOL. We need somehing crunchy and I am confused about riced cauliflower. Is that referring to the cauliflower being the consistancy of rice? Thank you for your help in advance :)

42. Jamie,
    I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but a few years ago I stumbled on a trick for removing the moisture from vegetables. I was making spinach balls, and couldn’t get the spinach dry enough after thawing it. Then something made me think of using a salad spinner. It worked like a charm. In fact, it is so effective that you have to be careful not to make your vegetables too dry.

43. Suzy Cox says:

WARNING! I don’t think the calories on these are correct. With two cups of cheese, I ended up with 351 calories per third, not 151.

44. Just made these! They look and smell delicious! Can’t wait until they are all cooled and ready to taste =)

45. Danielle C. says:

Tried these tonight and they are fantastic :D Thank you so much! I had a thought – the rounds, if you could keep them in shape in the oven somehow, would make great crispy taco shells. You’re the cooking genius, any ideas on how I might do that? ^_^ I thought of possibly rolling a paper plate and tying it with twine, but I worry the plate might scorch. At any rate, thank you so much for the recipe.

• Melissa Willis says:

You could place the round on an upsidedown oven proof bowl. If you use a larger bowl, could have a taco chip bowl.

46. I just made a batch of these and am taking them to work for lunch. I ate one just now and it was delicious. I made one little change and mixed a little popcorn seasoning in before I baked them.