As snow makes way for warmer spring weather, is it important to visit the importance of staying hydrated.
Five reasons to stay hydrated:
1. Water is essential to life. While going without food for some time might not kill a human, going without water for a relatively short period of time will kill a person. Even Bear Grylls drank his urine when stranded in the desert (well, on tv, anyway).
2. Weight loss. Not only does drinking water replace other, higher calorie and carb drinks, but it helps fill a stomach that may have otherwise been necessarily filled with food for satisfaction.
3. Cleansing. Water helps flush out toxins through using the restroom (the restroom: it’s more than for idle chatter and using the cell phone).
4. Healthy skin. Among other things, the body is made from a lot of tissues that require water for health, including the skin. Lacking in water, the body has to draw fluids from less important functions to greater ones. Skin loses out during dehydration.
5. Burn more calories. According to Salynn Boyles, Michael Boschmann, MD, and colleagues from Berlin’s Franz-Volhard Clinical Research Center, performed a study to determine if drinking water actually speeds weight loss “After drinking approximately 17 ounces of water, the subjects’ metabolic rates — or the rate at which calories are burned — increased by 30% for both men and women. The increases occurred within 10 minutes of water consumption and reached a maximum after about 30 to 40 minutes.”