Zucchini Nacho Chips

Pictured: Loaded with flavor, not empty carbohydrates

Cinco de Mayo has come and gone, and with it some of the best ethnic food ever! Many absolutely get their groove on with Mexican food, but the high-carb chips and tortillas prevent many from eating scant more than the meat, cheese and lettuce.

Now, with this cauliflower (or zucchini) dough recipe, you can enjoy your own nacho chips, whether you are celebrating a Mexican victory over the French, or just a well-deserved victory over dinner.

Mix up a batch of these tonight, and tomorrow proclaim your own K.O. punch over boredom!

Zucchini Nacho Chips
So crunchy but substantial, these are terrific topped with guacamole or con queso. Let your imagination run wild with these hefty chips!
1 large zucchini, shredded
2 eggs
2 cups cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Grease 2 cookie sheets.
Cut ends from zucchini. Shred. Mix with egg and cheese. Make 6-8” circles on greased cookie sheet(s). Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. Loosen and flip the circles. Bake for another 5 minutes at 450 degrees.
With a pizza cutter, cut rounds into triangles (about 6 per round).
Let cool on a rack for 6-8 hours in a cool oven. To store, keep loosely in a bag or a plastic container in the refrigerator or on the counter. Best used within a week of preparation.

Makes 36 chips.

Nutritional Information:(Per 12 chips, 1/3 of recipe): Calories: 151, Carbohydrates: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Net Carbohydrates: 1 g, Protein: 10 g, Fat: 13 g

Important: Don’t make these the day of use. These do require at least 6-8 hours to crisp up nicely, and are generally better the next day.

Both recipes are induction-friendly and gluten-free.

Comments

1. Lol! Hey Jamie, could you elaborate on what constitutes a large zucchini? are we talking about 2 cups grated or more?

Thanks,

Chris

2. cleochatra says:

Hey Chris! You've made a good point. I just assume everyone knows. Sheesh.

Yes! Two cups sounds absosmurfly perfect, give or take a wee bit.

3. I am making my first attempt today but have one question. I saw where you had posted that using a dehydrater works better. well I borrowed one from my brother but have never used it before so my question is…Now What? :-)

4. I made these last night, and must admit I was skeptical when I was spooning the mixture onto the pan; I mean, how can a zucchini, cheese, and egg really taste so good? Seriously, I don't know what happens when you bake it, but YUM. My husband nearly finished the whole batch within 10 minutes out of the oven – he couldn't even wait for them to crisp up! And this is the guy that HATES vegetables, so if we are eating an entire zucchini, I'm thinking this recipe is a keeper. Thanks SO much!!

5. ittybitty says:

Another A+ recipe! I made the zuchinni nachos last night and prepared them today with cheese, guac, chives, and tomatoes.Amazing!

6. pepperhem says:

sounds great! what kind of cheese should i use?

7. Jamie aka Carbarella says:

I'd say to go with a mozzarella or a Monterrey jack to keep flavors mild so that the popcorn seasonings or toppings really stand out.

8. I made these tonight and after 12 minutes mine were BURNED!! Help???

9. Your Lighter Side says:

I'm wondering if your oven might cook hotter than mine. I have no issues at 12 minutes… Maybe you can still crumble yours up to use on top of salads. They should still be pretty yummy unless they're blackened.

10. I’m wondering if these would work with just egg whites??

11. Jen houck says:

When you say let cool on a rack in the oven do you leave the cut chips in the baking pan or put them out on a cooling rack and put that in the oven?

• Jen, I’d cut them up and get them right back in the oven at 165 degrees on racks, if possible, with the door slightly ajar for airflow, when it’s safe (no small fingers to burn).

• Terry nickel says:

Mine also were burned at 12 minutes. Would it be better to decrease the temp of oven or time cooking. Does one cheese work better. I used a Italian blend. Are you supposed to spread it as thin as possible when putting on pan. Exactly how do you make them in a dehydrator?

• Hi, Terry! Let me rework this recipe and see if I can simplify it (I am without an oven right now, but I’ll have one next week). I did bake for 12 minutes in the oven, and then I put them in the dehydrator to get that crunch since the zucchini is so moist, it’s hard to get the crunchy aspect without drying them out post-baking.

12. Will this recipe work with cream cheese?

13. Do you need to squeeze the moisture out like you did with the pizza crust?

14. I made these and while the taste is yummy I can’t seem to get them crispy. I squeezed a ton of liquid out is the zucchini before mixing in and I baked longer than suggested to get the edges slightly crispier. I don’t have a dehydrator. Any suggestion for getting them to not be all limp?