Basic Coleslaw

Oh slaw of cole, I applaud your monochromatic fabulousness.

Coleslaw is pretty simple. The one-note pony who went to the rodeo, it might look pretty boring, but this soothing side makes the perfect sidekick for spicy  main courses. Who says simple can’t be terrific?

Speaking of simple, easy coleslaw: rub your magic lamp and wish for coleslaw. Less easy, but still easy, coleslaw: score a bag of the raw, undressed, angel hair coleslaw (shredded green cabbage) from the store. Making your own dressing means you’re off to the races! Or the picnic. Or your lip smacking spa day.

It’s important to note that you can use heavy cream in this recipe (if you’re following Atkins induction), but stir the dressing by hand, since heavy cream tends to bulk up (I ended up with whipped mayo topping). For the sweetener, I use Ideal sugar blend, found at Amazon.com and Albertson’s stores nationwide. Whether you use Splenda, stevia, chicory or your own sweetness, be sure to use what you like, because them’s the rules. It’s the slaw! Get it?! The slaw! Don’t make me come over there.

This slaw is so good, it tops every dish, including pop sensation Justin Bieber.

Pop star made separately.  credit

The recipe makes enough for a pound of cabbage covered bliss. Make the day before whenever possible to let flavors steep.

It’s the Slaw
Basic Coleslaw

16 ounces shredded cabbage or slaw mix
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp unsweetened coconut milk or heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar substitute
1/8 tsp pepper
optional: paprika for color

Mix all ingredients but slaw by hand or on low with a mixer to avoid whipping air into the cream (if using cream instead of coconut milk). Toss with a slaw and let refrigerate, preferably, overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.

Makes 2+ cups of slathery goodness for 6 servings.

Per 1/6 recipe:
With heavy cream: Calories: 160, Total Carbs: 6g,  Fiber: 2g,  Net Carbs: 4g, Protein: 1g,  Fat:15g
With coconut milk: Calories: 161, Total Carbs: 6g, Fiber: 2g, Net Carbs: 4g, Protein: .75g, Fat:15g

Comments

1. Catherine says:

Add in a big handful of chopped fresh Italian parsley for flavor and more nutrition and pretty green sparkles!!

2. halfdznroses says:

I use hot sauce in place of the vinager! mmm mmm good!

3. "Say What?" says:

This sounds de-lish! I'l be trying it soon.

4. It does improve everything is goes on!

5. marjie112000 says:

You are so, so funny!!! I love to read your blog, FB posts, etc.. I also love coleslaw! Especially with ribs. I see this in my near future!

6. Ohhhh… I had not thought of putting some hot sauce in it. I LOVE hot sauce! :-)

7. Rebekah says:

I have really missed cole slaw since following Atkins, and I feel the loss most acutely when my husband and I go out for BBQ (I get a plate of brisket sans sauce). Now I have a low carb recipe to make. Thank you!!!

8. I make cole slaw at least once a week. I also add a tbs of grainy mustard to the recipe and it also gives it a nice zip!

9. Catherine says:

I just got a bag of organic brocco-slaw (shredded broccoli stems with a few carrots) from Trader Joe's and am psyched to try it! Going to add in fresh parsley and maybe a tiny bit of red onion…bring on the mayo!!

10. I think some finely shopped mint would make it nice and fresh tasting too.

11. I make mine with red cabbage and cider vinegar. I also use the Ideal Brown sugar substitute. Love it!

12. Kathy Fuller says:

Oh Jamie…I just whipped this up. I absolutely could NOT be easier. And, it’s delicious!! I can hardly wait for my husband to get home from work. I’ll be at church when he gets in, so I’m gonna call him and make sure he at least tries it. He really loves slaw, especially the way his momma and sister used to make it . LOL So, we’ll see if the wife can grab another recipe that’s just as good!! It definitely is, as far as I’m concerned. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for the recipe, Jamie!! :)

13. Mmmm…making this tomorrow!

14. Sounds good but I am a Miracle Whip user. I threw away some mayo today that had gotten old because we never use it.

15. Simple and delicious. Thanks for another great recipe!

16. This was fantastic!

17. This is the most delicious, simple recipe. Because it’s so tasty, I ate a little more than I should… I had to put in the fridge so I could stop myself! Wow! Wow! Wow!

• I am with you; it is so totally addicting. I am so glad you like it, though. That is wonderful. I have made it so often now I make it from memory. Isn’t that funny?

18. This recipe is brilliant! So delicious! (I also added 1 Tbsp. of dijon mustard.)

19. Vicki Corbin says:

I use mayo, Braggs apple cider vinegar, pinch of organic natural sugar, dash of salt and pepper. I make according to my taste. Shredded bagged cabbage and 1-diced med. apple. Mix dressing and pour over the cabbage and apples and mix. Delicious!

20. This is such a fabulous recipe! Love the simplicity and frankly it just tastes so darn great! Thank you so much for this! I have it on hand in the fridge most days and many times eat it for breakfast :)

21. Teresa Willey says:

I use a mix of mayonaise and Ranch dressing with a couple packets of fake sugar. Coleslaw is AWESOME

22. Mary Anna says:

Mine’s similar – tablespoon each of splenda and cider vinegar, some black pepper and (very important) celery seed to taste, and some mayo (probably 2/3 cup-ish). Something about the celery seed makes it perfect. :)

23. Also really good variation: DILL slaw. Leave out the sweeteners and add in some deal relish. So good, Especially with hotdogs and burgers.

24. Elizabeth says:

Cant you just leave out the sugar or sweetener alltogether?

25. Don in Arkansas says:

I use the same basic recipe but instead of vinegar I use lime juice and throw in a handful of chopped cilantro and some slivered jalapenos. Muy Bueno.

1. [...] the ones I had at Sonic (regular potato and probably with wheat). I am going to make some chili and coleslaw and load up my own doggies tomorrow. I didn’t go over my carb allowances, and I made [...]

2. [...] an easy cabbage recipe, try my Easy Coleslaw. It’s fantastically simple and a Your Lighter Side favorite. Also stay tuned for a casserole [...]