Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute from Heavy Cream

You’re like, “What woman? Again? Do you have some fixation with sweetened, condensed milk or something?” Three recipes. Three.

But, hey. I promised a heavy cream based option sans powders, so I’m delivering. You can love me now. No, really. It’s all right.

Sweetened, condensed milk, while it seems like one of those ookie things to make that everyone uses in a high-carb lifestyle, does serve a purpose for bakers. Because of its density and thickness, its addition to recipes often means no other sugars are often necessary.

Used in everything from brownies to cakes, pies to cookie bars, this base is a staple for many bakers. Don’t need it? That’s fine! But if you do, you’ll love this.

Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute from Heavy Cream

1 1/2 cups heavy white cream
1/4 cup xylitol

1/4 cup erythritol
3 Tbsp butter

I small saucepan over medium heat, add all ingredients. Whisk occasionally until almost boiling. Turn burner to low and continue to simmer for 30 minutes until slightly reduced. Allow to cool. Refrigerate to store. Mixture will thicken. Use as you would a can of sweetened, condensed milk.

This comes out to maybe 8 net carbs per recipe, 6 from the cream and 2 from the sugar alcohols.

Comments

1. Losing it in Vegas says:

I think it's an obsession! But one I can understand. I may have to try this one.

2. Rhon (aka Gamma) says:

You are an awesome humanoid! Thx for the tips.

3. I have been wondering if I would ever be able to have key lime pie again. You know, the recipe that calls for a can of condensed milk. This along with an almond flour pie shell and I am back in business! You rock!!

4. Rachel C - thinladysings says:

I LOVE YOU! Ahhh I have been meaning to come up with a recipe for this forEVER! Thanks for doing it!!! And the key lime bars look great (that's exactly what I wanted it for!!!)

5. Your next challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to develop a Seven Layer Bar/Magic Square recipe in time for the holidays!

6. Is there a substitute for Xylitol in your recipes? I have the other one, but not this, and I can't justify the spending right now.

• Vitacost, a web market sells xylitol under their label at a good price plus they have special offers at times. It is a bit course which is okay in anything heated or baked. If using in a cold item like frosting, I ground in a coffee grinder and then run thru a sieve. Works great.

7. I have a fantastic recipe for you, using this.

1 bag unsweetened coconut flakes
    1 batch of this yummy condensed milk sub
    roasted almonds

mix all but a handful of the coconut with the condensed cream.
    roll into 1 inch balls
    insert 1 almond into the center of each ball, and close the hole
    roll in remaining coconut.
    ENJOY

8. Getting ready to try this with stevia, because I don't have enough of either or both of xylitol or erythritol.

9. Jamie aka Carbarella says:

Hey! Please let me know how it works with the stevia!

10. I’m SO happy I found this. I <3 sweetened condensed milk!

Question: Why is a lot of recipes does it call for some Xylitol and some Erythrol?
    I use them both but why mix? they are basically the same thing… although, maybe Erythriol is not as sweet?

Thanks!!

• Hi, Brit! I find they’re ever so slightly different/ One has more of a cooling effect than the other, and the erythritol has a lower melting point. Together, they’re Wonder Twins!

• I love your website! I always laugh at your funny jokes in the middle of recipes. I think that makes your website shine! your humor is there the whole way through! rock on! :)

and thank you!
        that’s all.

11. carol Palinkas says:

would love to know how it goes with pure erithritol — have two small dogs and am xilitol phobic :-( Made ice cream with it but was too nervous about having it around the house to enjoy it. So I ate it all.

• I have a small dog and we’re fine with xylitol. I should add, I don’t feed her ‘people’ food and I clean up whatever I drop right away! She did eat half of a xylitol cookie once and was fine, but she’s also tried downing a bottle of Advil before, too. :^o

12. what´s erythritol and xylitol? than´s :)

13. Hi Jamie ! I prefer not to use either Erythritol or Xylitol, and am looking for a better substitute. Is it possible to use only stevia instead, and if so how much ? Will I get the same results ? Tim

14. Claudette says:

Thank you for this! Have you ever made fudge with this? I tried making fudge with just xylitol the other day and it melted yes…brought it to soft ball and poured in a pan. It never firmed back up. I’m thinking maybe use chocolate and this and sugar free marshmallow creme? The recipe I used was just milk & xylitol that didn’t get firm in the fridge :(

1. [...] 1 cup Your Lighter Side’s Sweetened Condensed Milk 1 carton (8 ounces) marscapone or 8 ounces cream cheese 1 tsp lime zest 3 egg yolks juice of 1 [...]

2. [...] I already put a recipe together for sweetened condensed milk here using regular powdered milk for only 12 net carbs for the entire recipe, sometimes it’s nice [...]