If you’re low carbing it for the first time this new year, you’re probably like, “Aw crap. I’ll never enjoy a pasta salad ever again.” With that, you throw your hand across your forehead and swoon across your fainting couch. You might moan a little for cosmic effect or call out for your smelling salts. That’s the spirit! Go big or go back to bed, I always say.
This salad can be made with or without the Dreamfields noodles. If you rotinitastic, be sure to only add the noodles in prior to serving, since vinegar is likely to suck the magical unicorn matrix from the pasta, making the number of digestible carbs greater over time. In other words, if you take this dish to a party, send the rest home with friends.
The other option: Don’t use the pasta at all and sub in cubes of cheese and cukes. I’m all about accessorizing…
Festive Pasta Salad
1 box (roughly 8 ounces) uncooked Dreamfields rotini pasta
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower
1/2 lb broccoli, coarsely chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 sweet red pepper, cut into strips
1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup white vinegar
pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp basil
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp Parmesan grated cheese
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
2. Combine pasta with cauliflower and broccoli in a large bowl.
3. Add onion, mushrooms, peppers, and olives. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper, paprika, basil and garlic powder. Beat until smooth.
5. Pour the dressing over the amount of salad you plan to serve and gently toss.
6. Before serving, top with cheese and cherry tomatoes.
Makes 8 servings.