Savory Cheese Chive Waffles

Waffles! Savory, wonderful, gluten free waffles! Made from… cauliflower…

This time I’m serious. Cauliflower and cheese team up for this beautiful, savory pairing perfect for breakfast, brunch, dinner or lunch. Any time you have a hankering for some cheesy goodness, reach for your favorite veggie, shred, and heat up those waffle irons.

Pictured above, I really enjoy these waffles with bacon and eggs. I tossed in some fresh parsley and some sun-dried tomatoes, along with some added Parmesan cheese for added kick. You can seriously play up these flavors with sour cream, tomato sauce, basically anything you’re hankering for!

These waffles are nice and crispy since the cheese brings its magic to the table.

Look at those bits of fresh parsley and sun-dried tomato.

With an easy, fun dish like this, the question becomes, what will you put in your waffles?

As always, a few thoughts, notes and tips:

• I used egg, but you might be able to omit this ingredient if you’re egg intolerant. I haven’t tried this recipe without it because I wanted to make sure the cheese didn’t cook and stick to the waffle iron.
    • Don’t like cauliflower? Use well drained, shredded zucchini instead!
    • You can save some fat by using skim Mozzarella. The waffle maker should essentially be non-stick when heated properly, so you shouldn’t need any added fat there.
    • Be sure to allow the waffle iron to do its thing. In other words, stop checking the thing every 30 seconds while it’s cooking. If you mess with its perfection while it’s trying to do it’s job, you’re going to have a mess. Set the timer and walk away. Go on. Away. I see you hovering over there…
    • Always make sure to allow your iron to fully heat before you add batter. Cold waffle irons take time to heat, so if you add the ‘dough’ while it’s still heating, you’ll end up with either an overcooked hockey puck, or the blob from outer space.
    • The waffles stick ever so slightly, but that’s only because they’ve stringently adhered to the waffle iron. Just gently coax with a fork (careful to not scratch your non-stick surface or hurt yourself) and loosen.
    • This recipe is Atkins induction friendly, gluten free, sugar free, vegetarian friendly and 2.2 net carbs per ample waffle.

Crispy waffles also make for the perfect addition to sunny side up eggs.

Savory Cheese Chive Waffles

1 cup processed, raw cauliflower (should resemble coarse crumbs)
1 cup processed mozzarella shredded cheese
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese/shredded
2 eggs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp chives
fresh parsley, optional
sun-dried tomatoes, optional

Heat waffle maker until ready. Add scant 1/4 cups filled with batter on the griddle. Set the timer for 4-6 minutes, peeking after minute four. If the waffle maker sticks, let cook slightly longer. Remove once cooked. allow to cool on a plate. Refrigerate remaining.

Makes 6 waffles.

Nutritional Information per waffle: Calories: 135, Carbohydrates: 3g, Fiber: .8g, Net Carbohydrates: 2.2g, Protein: 11.7g, Fat: 8.5g

Comments

1. Do you think these would work as pancakes? They look seriously yummy but I’m lacking in the waffle maker department and have no room for a new kitchen gadget in my tiny space.

• You know, you could try it, but you might be better off in the oven, since each takes about six minutes to cook, and it’s harder to regulate stove top heat. As well, the recipe is more solid than liquid, so it might be slightly harder to flatten out. If you try it, would you let me know what happens?

• Pammer says:

I made these as pancakes for supper tonight- to die for! Loaded with meat & sliced veggies for a hot, open-faced sandwich. Found that 4-5″ diameter worked best, cooked 6-7 minutes on med-low heat flipping every 2 minutes worked best. I pre-cooked and drained the cauliflower before making the “batter”. Yum!!!

2. Hi there,

What is meant by processed cauliflower?

3. Carrie says:

Your notes should say “Don’t like cauliflower? Try these, you might!” I HATE cauliflower but LOVE your cauliflower crust pizza. I imagine I will love these. I am thinking poached eggs with rosemary brown butter. YUMMY!

• That is an amazing idea, and a terrific sentiment. I am not a cauli liker, but I love these waffles.

4. Dr. Tai says:

This looks yummy. I might try this tonight with some low carb chilli!

5. Just bought a waffle maker. I’m making these tomorrow!! This looks really good, thanks! :D

6. These look fantastic! I must buy a waffle iron. Or find some other way to cook them.

7. No waffle iron either, gonna try baking. What do you think 350 degrees?

• I think 350 sounds great! Maybe 375, if you want faster and crisper baking time, but check the oven more often.

8. Lee Jacintho says:

Would it be okay to lightly spray the waffle iron with Pam?

9. Diana S says:

These waffles sound yummy! Do you think some cheddar could be substituted for some of the mozzarella?

• Absolutely! I meant to try it, but I wanted the waffles to photograph better and I was afraid cheddar would make them even darker. So chalk one up for aesthetics.

10. Do you refrigerate the batter or the actual made waffles? I’m thinking of making a couple for dinner tonight, and then having some for brekky…but would rather not have to whip out the waffle maker in the morning if they could just be toasted or something…

• I refrigerate the waffles after baking. You know, I meant to try toasting one in the toaster and didn’t. I’m kicking myself right now.

• So I made them…they TASTE delicious! The problem is that for every waffle, I sit there and spend 5 minutes on each one scraping it from the waffle maker. It’s like they aren’t cohesive. Each side is nice and crispy, but they don’t make a whole waffle :(

• Really? That shouldn’t be happening at all. It happened with my first waffle, but only because it didn’t cook long enough. Next time, let one cook slightly longer and see what happens. You might also need to spray your iron if a longer cooking time isn’t enough to prevent sticking.

• I had the same problem! Couldn’t get it to work in the waffle iron – longer time, shorter time… certainly didn’t look anything like the picture. So I took what was left of the batter and put it in a pie dish, stuck it in the oven at 350 till it was brown. Sliced it into wedges and it was very good. Sure wish I could get it to work as waffles but baking in the oven is definitely easier!

• Waffle makers can be fickle little poops sometimes. I know I have to almost overcook the waffles to kep them from sticking. I think each pan is so different. I am glad baking worked!

11. Wadene Amberg says:

Could frozen cauliflower be used or would it change the texture too much?

• You can use frozen, but be sure to wring out as much of the moisture as you can. The frozen, when thawed, tends to want to hang onto that moisture.

12. “1 cup processed mozzarella shredded cheese”

Does this mean you put the shredded cheese through the food processor to turn it into crumbs?

Karin

• You are correct, Karin. I process the shredded cheese. I decided to do that because I wanted to ensure there wasn’t too much air. So, yes; definitely process the cheese and then measure.

13. OMG.. I am drooling.. these look amazing! I am at a hotel or I would go and make them right this minute!! We would love to add these to Dr. Rosedale’s website and would for sure let everyone know they came from you, would you mind if we did that?

Keep them coming..

14. So you don’t cook the cauliflower at all before mixing it with the cheese and eggs and putting it in the waffle iron? I definitely want to try these!

• I didn’t! Raw, processed, baby!

• Thanks! The cauliflower was completely undetectable! I used a mixture of mozzarella and sharp cheddar, plus shredded Parmesan, and the flavor was pretty salty, but still good. I used it like a toast substitute for the runny yolk from my egg!

I have a round Cuisinart waffle iron, and 1/4 cup of batter only filled about half of the iron–I increased the size of each one until the final waffle which turned out full size (for a total of 3 small and 1 full size waffle). My iron also has an adjustable heating control and I found that lower heat and less time (about 3 minutes) worked out fine. I could totally see adding some Italian spices and using these as a basis for a pizza! (Remember bagel bites? How about waffle bites!)

• Nicole, I could definitely see waffle bites. I also agree that salt here can be an issue, so looking for low sodium cheeses might be a best bet. A friend made a toasted cheese sandwich with these waffles and she really seemed happy with the results!

15. sweet irony says:

homigod!! I’m just finishing eating my first batch and am headed back to make a second batch for Mother’s Day brunch tomorrow. Everyone will be thrilled. These are delicious! I can’t wait to try a couple sections out as hamburger buns. AWESOME recipe cleo!!

16. oh, my goodness…this is genius! And worked so well.
    Thanks for the cooking timer tips…the four minute mark
    was perfect for mine. I did use what I had which was
    crumbled feta and an extra egg. I served marinated chilled
    shrimp over the waffles.

I was able to make 7 waffles with this recipe.

• Feta! You are speaking my language, Susan! I love it! And 7 waffles is fabulous. I think I got 6 biggies.

17. Hi Jamie

I wonder if you could clarify how many ozs this recipe uses? I went by a cup equalling 8 ozs but then ended up having to use 4 eggs because it was more of a dough.

18. Am I missing a print button? This sounds delicious but when I tried to print the page it didn’t print correctly.

• Hi Elise! The page should print fabulously. I picked the best print button I could find! Worst-case, try hitting CONTROL+P when you have what you want to print and see if that works better. Sorry for the inconvenience!

19. Charmaine says:

Wonderful and delicious. I added in some sharp cheddar. I didn’t have chives so I used some Italian seasoning and extra basil. Next time I think I will use the skim mozzarella! Five delicious stars.
    I am going to experiment too with the zucchini variation.

• Awesome! I am so glad! the zucchini might be more moist, so be sure to wring the veg out prior to adding to the batter.

20. OMG this is now on my to-try list. Looks fabulous!

21. I made these for dinner tonight and they are very very good, thanks for being so creative and just plain awesome :)

22. Margaret says:

Used this as a basis….yummy. I used a George Forman grill. This is great and very filling.

23. These look like magic. Alas a versatile recipe that can transform run of the mill low carb day in and day out meals into amazing culinary defeats! Thank you very (multiply by infinity) much!

24. Chris Staats says:

Does everyone just eat these as-is or use some kind of sauce with them?

25. Would this work in a Belgium waffle maker?

• I would say so, so long as it’s heated well enough and oiled (if necessary).

• I attempted them tonight with a belgium waffle maker. I used cheddar ’cause I didn’t have anything else and used about 1/2 a cup of the mixture. They came out really thick which is going to be perfect since they’ll be burger bun substitutes! They are definitely tasty and the cheddar didn’t change the appearance much actually. :)

Thanks!

26. Jamie, do you think the recipe would work replacing the Parm with unflavoured whey protein? It might cut down on the saltiness a bit and help bind the cauli/zuch?

• You could definitely try that, Deborah. I think the protein powder tends to taste “malty” for lack of a better description, but I tend to be a super-taster. I recommend if you try it, make a mini batch. That way you’ll know right away if you love it without wasting ingredients.

• I will do a mini batch. I tend to really dislike the taste of whey protein but if there are enough other flavors, I can sometimes disguise it.

27. This might be a good holder for the sausage, egg and cheese ideas you have that replaces an egg mcmuffin. I am going to try this over the weekend!!

28. I made these with cheddar cheese, and they came out wonderfully. They did stick a little bit, but a light touch with my toaster tongs was enough to work them out of the waffle iron. Also, I love that you have a section of recipes that is induction-friendly. Made my search much easier!

• I am so glad it helped to have an induction section. It was a terrific suggestion from readers that I’m glad I followed. It just makes things so much easier. The cheddar sounds so yummy! BTW, love your site!

29. This has absolutely become my favorite side dish!! I’ve made it with both zucchini and cauliflower. My modification is to make it as pancakes cooked in a skillet with some grapeseed oil. So yummy!!

30. Does the Parmesan have to be shredded? Can I sub grated?

• You could give it a shot. They will measure out differently since shredded contains more air pockets, so definitely keep that in mind. As well dry, grated Parm is drier as an ingredient.

31. AUGH! Ok, I just gotta say, you’re a life saver! I was getting so sick of eating eggs eggs and more eggs!!! This site is genius!

32. Thank you so much to whoever put this in MyFitnessPal! Super sweet! This is INCREDIBLE! Seriously, go make it. now. the. best.

33. typeogirl says:

these are awesome! I can see how you can change up the flavor profile with different herbs and cheeses depending on the purpose. thanks for posting!

34. could i make these without a waffle maker? Would oven or frying pan be best? thanks for inspiring me to try something new :)

35. Anyone have any recommendations for a waffle maker to use with this recipe?

36. They work just fine in the pan, they are called fritters…zuc,and aspergus work well also. and yes you can use shaker grated fine cheese. sometimes I even add a small scope of a unflavored protien powder adj. batter with a little water, dairy or alt. milk

37. Diced pepperoni or ground pre-cooled crumbled sausage or crumbled bacon is also some good choices..

38. Have you tried these with cinnamon and vanilla instead of the suggested spices? I just made them and to my surprise they were actually pretty good!! Even though I told myself I was done with cauliflower recipes!! They really did resemble waffles so I was wondering about cinnamon. Thanks!

• Your Lighter Side says:

Hi! I have not. Cauliflower is pretty pungent, so it needs the spices to offset the smell/flavor. That said, I do have other waffle recipes on the site you might want to check out that are good for syrup and butter!

39. Kim Howell says:

Are you actually eating these with butter and syrup? Or is it more of a side dish that just happens to be made in a waffle iron? Would these work with a little cinnamon and sf sweetener instead of being savory?

• Your Lighter Side says:

Hi! No butter and syrup on those. I more schmear them with sour cream or dip in a savory sauce. Great question!

40. Just made these today. I didn’t have mozzarella cheese, so I substituted blue cheese, added the sundried tomatoes (in EVOO). Only issue I had was they stuck to the waffle places. I have a Cuisinart grill with waffle plates. So then I switched to trying pan frying, still didn’t seem to work well. So I ended up throwing it all in a casserole dish and baking at 350 for 30 minutes. I am sure the end result is probably the same, great flavor!

41. This sounds great! How do you think they would freeze? I would love to make a huge batch and just be able to pull them out and pop in toaster. Thanks for all your recipes!

42. Just found the link to this from FB – tried it just now and they are not only delicious, but gorgeous! I made them in a big belgian waffle maker using mozz/cheddar and the recipe made 3 good size waffles that were golden and gourmet looking with the chives peeking through! But most importantly they taste awesome! I could see one of these on a dinner plate topped with meat and veggies in a fancy restaurant! No icky cauliflower taste either! I ate one and I’m full! Thanks so much!

43. Didn’t have cauliflower so I used broccoli and they taste great! My veggie hating husband freaked when he saw me processing the broccoli. But, after one taste he ended up eating the whole batch! Thanks!

44. Diane Fulton says:

Thank u for this recipe! My husband was so tired of eating scrambled eggs or an omelette every day (we are doing low carb eating) and this was a great alternative! He would never eat cauliflower before this- it’s delicious!

1. […] got the recipe from YourLighterSide.com and just did a little improvising and which I encourage you to do also. The basic thing here is the […]