Despite the fact that it looks like a malformed male reproductive member and the guy cashiers always crack up when one comes through the check stand, daikon radishes are splendulescent in their potato-like qualities, and for only 1 net carb per ounce.
I’ll say that again: Only 1 net carb per ounce.
Add some squashes, spinach and onion, and your taste buds will roll around on the floor like little schoolgirls who just hear Justin Bieber will be at the mall.
Add cheese and we’re talking off the chain, shut the front door, a dish so sexy, you’[re not only presenting an amazing looking side dish, it’s one you’re going to enjoy time and again for the various, complex flavors and textures. This is an impressive looking dish, it tastes like a little Heaven in your mouth, and what better way to feature your summer veggie haul?
Things to keep in mind:
- I sliced my veggies using a meat slicer for thin slices, but you can use a sharp knife.
- Slice the veggies into rounds, not lengthwise.
- You can lower fat content in this dish by using half and half instead of heavy white cream, along with lower fat cheeses.
- This dish is vegetarian friendly, low carb, gluten free, and sugar free.
- Daikon radishes stay a wee bit crunchy, so know that you’re not going to get a mooshy, smooshy potato. I like the texture, so if you don’t think of it as a potato (and slice it super thin), you’re going to be very happy.
- I have not run the numbers yet because I am a naughty naughty monkey, but it’s low carb and a little goes a long way thanks to the decadence of the dish.
Summer Vegetable au Gratin
1/4-1/2 large daikon radish sliced thin (about 2 cups)
1 small summer squash, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
1 small zucchini, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
1 cup thin-sliced onions
1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 Tbsp dried)
4 Tbsp butter
1 cup heavy white cream
2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combination of mozzarella, sharp white cheddar and Parmesan cheese)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp chives
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
Soak sliced daikon radish in cold, salted water for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Arrange all sliced daikon and squashes in an ungreased 10” casserole dish.
Over medium heat, in a medium-large saucepan, cook onion in butter until transparent, stirring occasionally (just a few minutes). Add parsley, chives, garlic powder and pepper and stir, just until bubbling. Add cream and stir occasionally until heated through (about 5 minutes). Add spinach and cook until heated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and worked into the sauce.Pour the thickened liquid over the vegetables.
Bake, covered, for 45 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-20 minutes uncovered to crust up the cheese slightly.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information For the Entire Recipe: 1551 Cals.; 49 g Carbs.; 13 g Fiber; 36 g Net Carbs.; 111 g Protein; 115 gFat
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 194 Cals.; 6 g Carbs.; 2 g Fiber; 4 g Net Carbs.; 14 g Protein; 14 g Fat