Margaret asked me if there was some way to make a quick cheesecake. “I’d love to see a cheesecake ‘in a minute,’” she told me. “Just a single serving size.”
I love a cooking challenge so, with her mandate, I set out to create a simple dessert that:
1. Is made in the microwave in literally about a minute, chilled for 60 minutes and then served up.
2. Is Atkins Induction friendly and filling.
3. Contains less than 5 net carbohydrates.
4. Can be tweaked easily for user-friendliness based on dietary needs.
The spoon in my mouth proves I achieved the desired results.
You might wonder why I added the egg to the recipe. The egg both bulks up the mixture adds protein-rich, low glycemic bulk to the dish, meaning there’s no need for more cream cheese. Eggs also cook quickly, so the dish is finished in less than 2 minutes. Finally, the egg makes this slightly more of a meal, so it’s quite filling.
On busy work-week days, it’s important to have something that you can grab and take to the office. This way, you can spend more time living and less time in the kitchen. These little protein-packed desserts really make life that much more deliciously simple.
Some things to consider before you start microwaving:
- You can substitute high-fat cream cheese and sour cream for a lower-fat product. Just be sure to check those nutritional values; reduced-fat products typically contain added sugar.
- You can use egg white in place of the entire egg if you need to further cut the fat.
- If you have no sour cream, you can use greek yogurt, as long as you are aware that yogurt is not induction friendly.
- I made my cheesecake in a small, one-cup casserole dish.
- If the eggs scramble and separate slightly, don’t panic. They should integrate into the dish.
- I added fresh, whipped heavy white cream, fresh blueberries, and nut meal as finishing touches (here, only the fresh-whipped cream is induction friendly).
- This recipe is Induction Friendly, ovo-lacto vegetarian friendly, sugar-free, gluten-free, and only 2.5 net carbs per ample, cup serving.
Minute Microwave Cheesecake
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp sour cream
½ tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp vanilla
2-4 Tbsp sugar replacement sub (taste as you go)
Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high heat for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds incorporating all ingredients. Refrigerate until serving.
Optional: Top with fresh fruit, whipped cream and nut meal.
Makes one, one-cup serving.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories: 299, Carbohydrates: 2.5 g, Fiber: 0 g, Net Carbohydrates: 2.5 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 27.6 g.