Sept. 24 Menu and Events (Day 29)

Hello my Tremendous Tuesday hummingbirds of twinkly fun!

Today I weighed in at TOPS. Even though I have been running experiments on food intolerances I likely have, I have still managed to lose so far!

Ready for this?

My loss for this week: 4.25 pounds

My losses for the 4 weeks: 18.25 pounds

Total for all of our friends so far in this Mid-Year Resolution Challenge: 691.57 pounds!

Ermagerd! That’s more than 20 pounds being shed each and every day by all of us together!

I have a long ways to get to my proposed goal of 100 pounds by New Year’s Eve, but I’m not stopping until it turns January 1. Are you ready to bring it? Remember, we will do this– I’m here with you cheering you on, too.

I have been walking at my treadmill desk a bunch and work at the same time. I really like it! I am writing this post there right now! Even at only one mile per hour for two hours, I am burning over 700 calories  day just by working while walking, and that is so exciting. I could shoot glitter from my ears. But I won’t.

Also, I am losing this weight while enjoying what I eat and cooking what I love. I am living the dream, baby.

Now what I had yesterday… First of all, here’s the plan I’m following and here is the introduction post to the Mid-Year Resolution Challenge. While you look at what I’m doing, be sure to do your thing. I am thrilled to give some ideas, but I’m not the person you should necessarily look to for dieting advice (I’m not a paid nosh-a-titian). I am, however, here with you to cheer you on when you’re so skinny you will have to watch slipping through the cushions of your couch.

Be sure to subscribe for updates by adding your email right (in the sidebar) or through Feedburner in the title bar up top!

Monday, September 24

I ate this:
Breakfast: 5-element snack platter: cubed cheese + olives + pepperoni + 10 almonds + grape tomatoes + iced tea
Lunch:
Carbmaster Peach Yogurt + 1/4 cup fresh, organic blueberries + iced tea
Dinner: Chipless Nachos

Exercise: Walked and worked for 2 hours at my treadmill desk at 1mph.

Notes: I love caffeine! Caffeine caffeine caffeine!

What I learned:

I need to focus on what I can have –not on what I can’t.

Saturday night I was a little bummed. As pizza and cinnamon crisps, Cheez-Itz and sodas made their way to the game table, I sat, a little depressed, as I regarded the salad and the nuts in front of me (tree nuts, not my friends and family).

With a likely lactose intolerance, nut intolerance, gluten intolerance and sugar intolerance, I sat nursing my Diet Coke, salad and mixed nuts and feeling–admittedly– a little bit crabby.

Thankfully, I chose to take a delicious pizza salad along with me and was thoroughly pleased with my pre-planning and ability to enjoy something that still allowed me such a generous weight loss this week.

Once I changed my thought process, I was able to ignore what I couldn’t have–and seriously–with those allergies wouldn’t WANT– and celebrated what I could have and did want, for overall health and weight loss.

I loaded my shredded lettuce up with cheese, olives, tomatoes and  pepperoni, and I wan’t even missing the pizza on the table. I am much happier in the long run, and I showed a substantial loss for this week.

Win, meet Win. Table for two, please.

Comments

1. Kathy Fuller says:

YAY for you, Jamie!! :) I forgot to check in. I’m at a total of 13 pounds right now, having lost 2 pounds this week. YAY for me!!! LOL

2. What a great post! Yes, it’s all about attitude isn’t it? As far as food intolerances go, I KNOW I’m gluten intolerant. My list of symptoms when I eat gluten would be too long to put in this post. When I avoid gluten, I feel great. I don’t need any expensive medical tests to tell me I’m gluten intolerant. It’s not rocket science for me. Yet I feel so great when avoiding gluten, my attitude has changed and now I don’t feel deprived at all. There are still so many delicious foods for me eat.

Great blog!

• Sheryl, I love your positive attitude! I know you’re going to do anything you want to do with such a terrific way of looking at things. Rock on!

3. Oh my gosh, I forgot to congratulate you on an awesome weight loss! Applause!

• Thank you so much! I credit all of us working together for a large part of it. I love the accountability and knowing we’re all in this together.

4. Debby Peterman says:

Simply put….YOU ROCK!!!!

5. YAY for all of us. I have lost a total of 10.5 so far, in the four weeks. To me that seems to be a bit slow…but I am focusing on the loss, not the amount. (If that makes any kind of sense). I like the “what you learned” section of your blog. OK…since today is my birthday, I will say what I learned. I don’t need birthday cake. I am quite fine without it. I was going to make myself a cheesecake (since your recipe is soooo yummy) but I got lazy…and I don’t feel guilty about being lazy at all. haha.

6. Have you posted pics of your treadmill desk?? I havent seen any and would love to see it. I am stalled right now and my online store makes it hard for me to find the time to get on my treadmill….pics please????

7. Barb Sletmoe says:

Hello, Jamie! I just recently “found” you. I would like to join in your Mid-Year Resolution group, although I might just call it “Autumn/Winter” Resolution.” LOL I want to lose 20 lbs. by January 1st. I am focused and on track!

8. Keep up the good work- and thanks for being such a good inspiration! Hey- it didn’t show up all in one day…probably shouldn’t expect it to disappear all in one day!

9. Yayyy Jamie! You are doing SO well! The treadmill idea is brilliant and they say ANY extra activity can make a big difference long term in weight loss. I must say the results of the challenge are exciting. Love losin’ with you!

• Kathy– you are right on so many levels. There are certain tasks I save now for the treadmill desk-including responding to comments. It forces me to improve my typing and take my time to think through what I want to say before I hit “send”… I love this desk!

10. Delighted to hear about your losses. That is awesome.

I’m still slogging away with my only carb intake coming from fruits and veggies. Sadly I have had to say good bye to dairy. After I got the results of the allergy panel, it was disappointing but not unexpected to have to quit potatoes, corn, rice and oats. I was delighted to get the ok for dairy but now my body says differently.

The supplies of cheese, yogurt and ice cream have been donated to my daughter. I’m trying to find convenient easy foods that my husband can prepare for me during the next six weeks. He doesn’t like to cook, so our meals are very simple. Last night we had turkey hot dogs with baby carrots and mustard.

I will be back on my feet in a few weeks and starting physical therapy. I honestly don’t know what it is going to take for me to lose the weight. I tried extreme exercise I.e. training for and running two half marathons but that didn’t work.

• Jill, sometimes it takes kicking those food allergies to the curb to make the difference. And even then it might take a little time to get it out of your system to alleviate inflammation, too. I know things for you will get better! Keep healing and be good to yourself. Every day is anew discovery and another chance for growth on so many levels.

11. Congrats on the weigh in! :-D I’ve been telling myself I need to exercise and you have helped confirm and inspire me. Now I just need to put it into action. I’ve tried low carb a couple of times before but I think I’m going to make it long term this time thanks to your wonderful array of recipes! Keep up the great work, you’re not just getting healthier, you’re also inspirational.

12. Way to go! Shedding 18 lbs in 4 weeks is no small feat! Keep up the good work lady. I will definitely be subscribing so that I can follow your weight loss journey! I have been considering turning my workstation into a treadmill walking area myself, as I know that it would do wonders for me! Best of luck as you keep shedding the lbs!

13. Hi Jamie.

Congratulations on the changes you are making. Good to see you doing so well.

We are back. Home sweet home.

My scales read neither loss nor gain. That’s good considering how often our food was all over the place and some exceedingly stress filled days.

It’s good to be in our own environment.

I’m fine with no loss for many reasons. I have already lost a ton of weight this year and to continue to lose weight I need to experiment a little to see what works best. Going wheat free was so easy to begin with. Now there’s more to learn.

Good news … I sat in the middle seat on the plane each way. I was very comfortable. I had no fear of overflowing into the space of a stranger.

I am beginning to research more into LCHF and maybe high intensity exercise although that looks a bit hard at my age but I guess it’s all relative and I need to find my own version. Anyway it won’t be worth a hill of beans if I don’t up my regular activity.

October is on the way. Spring is well and truly in the air and Hopefully the outdoors becomes more inviting.

Blessings

• Hi, MargieAnne! You know, you don’t need strenuous exercise; just get those slow-twitch muscles working by walking as you can. Those leg and bun muscles are the biggest in the body, so working those out sanely (not quickly) will burn a lot of fat and firm you up! Remember: not too hard that you can’t sing, “Old MacDonald had a farm. E-I-E-I-O.” You want to get oxygen to those muscles!

14. Susan koning says:

Congratulations Jamie! You re a sweet and witty inspiration!! Thank you or all you do:)

15. You are doing fabulous! Great progress and your attitude reflects it!! I haven’t beat the “oh, I can’t have this or that, moan… ” syndrome yet. I was disappointed because I didn’t lose any weight in the last two weeks, sort of up and down. Thankfully I did my 2 week measurements of my neck, chest, waist, hips and butt. I lost 4″ in the past 2 weeks for a total of 9.5″ in the last 4 weeks, even tho the total weight loss has been only 8 lbs. Sort of neat when I get into a favorite restaurant booth and my belly is no longer touching the table:-) We will persevere.

• Those measurements are even more important than weight losses, since weight doesn’t account for a denser skeleton due to overweight, or to daily fluctuations in water weight, inflammation, etc. I am so glad you keep measurements, too! You rock it out. I am also really proud of you for handling your mini maintenance period (stall? Pfft) with patience.

16. Sharon Cerkoney says:

Hi! I’m a little slow on the uptake – can I still join in this weight loss partee? I need to lose about 30 lbs and want to do Atkins on steroids too – I don’t want to do the induction so it makes me feel good to just do the 20 net carbs a day and run with it :)

• Hi, Sharon! sure! I haven’t been adding anyone new to the overall spreadsheet from this site, butbutbut, I invite all of us here to check in each Monday with weight loss and how you did!

17. Amanda Davies says:

Great Job! I’m coming up on one year since starting my journey. I started at 150 (I’m 5’2) and now down to 110 with lots of muscle definition. I love this way of eating and thankful for bloggers like yourself that share your recipes to make it that much easier on me. Keep up the good work!

18. Rhoda Geminski says:

I have been stalled since the start of the challenge – boo….

• It’s ok, Rhoda! Any idea what’s happening? If you want to shoot me what your usual menu looks like and how much weight you’re trying to lose, I can give you a few anecdotal thoughts.

19. Wow! Congrats! This gives me hope. I just listened to a Jimmy Moore podcast where the “expert” said that women over 40 CAN NOT lose more that half a pound to a pound each week. You don’t look like you’re over 40 but your adorable son makes me think that maybe you are :) And you can add my 13 pounds to the total!

• WTFeverrrrrr. We can so do that, and I’m living proof. Don’t let the naysayers harsh that beautiful mellow, Amberly! Live to fight another low-carb day!

20. Judy Johnson says:

I’m new and wondered if you had list of staple pantry items to keep on hand so I can make
    most anything low carb- When I see your great recipes I want to make it now not tomorrow. Sorry for my lack of patience.