How can My Fitness Pal‘s tracking app for iPhone and Android help when it comes to keeping those important resolutions for health and fitness, especially in our busy lives?
In a word: Simply. In a second: Intuitively.
And that’s important, especially when it comes to not having the time typically it takes to learn new software, let alone making the time to track nutritional and fitness information. Thankfully, My Fitness Pal is quick and easy to use, especially on smart phones. What’s more, it’s not only also available for your PC, it’s free–and you just can’t beat that kind of reliability and ease of use at no cost.
As a recipe developer and health site owner, I not only keep track of how I’m eating for health and for weight management, I have the added responsibility of running the nutritional values on hundreds of recipes I have created for millions of families around the world.
Thankfully, as soon as I became acquainted with My Fitness Pal on my Android, the process of calculating nutrients and recipe information became simple and intuitive, allowing me more time in the kitchen and less time crunching numbers over my calculator.
Want more reasons I love My Fitness Pal’s app?
- Easy to change information. Want to focus on some nutrition values and nix others you don’t often use? Simply focus on the information you need. (I add in fiber, since it’s important for me calculate net carbohydrates along with total numbers).
- Lots of options allow me to shift my values within calories (I typically eat roughly 60% calories from fat, 30% calories from protein, and 10% calories from carbohydrates). Want to change the number of calories or percentages, shoot for more (or less) protein daily? Less fat? More Vitamin D3? You can do that, too.
- Thousands of products listed. At first I was a bit overwhelmed at the number of options available. Used to less intuitive search engines in other programs, suddenly having so many products to choose from also means closer values to foods I am actually using, and not generalized numbers. Really, though, since a lady likes to accessorize, I quickly found myself maneuvering the different foods and types of foods with ease.
- Easy Menu Repetition. Want to save time? You can repeat often-enjoyed menus, especially when ingredients take time to list over and over.
- Meal Distinction. I appreciate the differentiation between meals for more options. I can focus on breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack and drink options with customizable, easy-to-use menus, and even keep track of the number of beverages I’m getting in a day.
- Brand names and generics for thousands of products (including restaurant menu items) make it really easy to log those specific foods.
- Fitness tracker. Exercise is only a dirty word if you’re playing in the garden. Keep track of your activity levels and reward your efforts.
- Public and Private Settings adjust your account to your comfort levels. (I typically keep mine private since I use the program also for tweaking and for recipe nutrition). Want to add friends and keep each other accountable? You can do that, too!
I have to admit I was initially a borderline crabby skeptic at the prospect of having to learn new software, learn it on my Android, and use it for my daily needs, but if it’s one thing I learned, it’s that a minimal amount of playing with the software nets an invaluable resource I’m now relying on to keep me moving at the speed of eating light.
I recommend this app wholeheartedly.
My Fitness Pal Tracking App
Price: Free .
Website: My Fitness Pal
Crisp, delicious Welch’s Light not only tastes great, but also helps you stay on track. With only 45 calories per serving and no added sugar, you’ll be sure to sip smarter with Welch’s Light! Try both Concord Grape and White Grape flavors: made with our very own grapes and full of antioxidant Vitamin C.
Disclosure: “Compensation was provided by Welch’s via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Welch’s.”