I had so much fun making my crunchy Pizza Trail Mix,
- You can double and triple this recipe. It depends on the amount of dehydrator trays you have.
- Be sure to use less fatty meat. Fat in a dehydrator makes a huge mess, and when you’re on the go, you don’t need it dripping everywhere. For this tantalizing take-along treat, look for turkey or low-fat pepperoni.
- Other options: Black olives, spinach leaves, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, jalapeño slices, dried artichoke hearts, you name it!
- And because you don’t have to add the pepperoni, you can enjoy a low-carb, vegetarian/vegan (if you also nix the cheese) trail mix that isn’t going to send your blood sugar reeling as a result.
- Serving suggestions: Eat plain or sprinkle over plain yogurt, soups, salads, crumble and add to dips, spreads, or store in the refrigerator in a loosely sealed container to keep moisture out.
Crunchy Antipasto Trail Mix
1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced into thin strips and then cut in half
1 orange bell pepper, seeded, sliced into thin strips and then cut in half
1 small zucchini, sliced thin
1 pint sliced, fresh mushrooms
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered, seeds removed
2 cups fresh, whole spinach leaves
1/4 cup raw, sweet onion, sliced to 1′/8″ thick
12 green olives, sliced
12 black olives, sliced
1 can artichoke hearts, cut into quarters, lengthwise
1/4 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese (optional)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional, see below in nutritional information)
Place ingredients on dehydrator trays. (Because of the cheese, it’s preferable to use an herb drying mat that won’t let smaller particles fall through.) Dry for 6-8 hours at 135 degrees, rotating the trays every 60-90 minutes. Remove ingredients as they become crispy (I like my peppers a little chewy, so I pulled those off after 6 hours, along with everything else).
Makes about 10, 1/2 cup servings.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories: 99, Carbohydrates: 5.7 g, Fiber: 2.8 g, Net Carbohydrates: 2.9 g, Protein: 5.1 g, Fat: 6.5 g
Per serving, Vegan, if you skip cheese: Calories: 66.6, Carbohydrates: 5.3 g, Fiber: 2.8g, Net Carbohydrates: 2.5, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3.9 g