I am a lover of beans. Well, coffee beans, to be sure. Green beans are great, too, but they don’t throw my eyelids back and slap them in the face the way a delicious java bean can. Am I right?
I am always looking out for new sweetener options, too. As a long-time user of my recipes for a white sugar baking blend, brown sugar blend, and powdered sugar blend, I lament, even still, the number of carbs present in the bulk Splenda mixes.
Enter Just Like Sugar Tabletop, the almost-all-fiber natural sweetener made from chicory root. I love quality sweeteners, but I just can’t hack stevia. As much as I’ve tried, as a super-taster, it’s too too. As a baker, the lack of bulking bums me out.
I wanted to make a coffee=flavored truffle for ages now. So long so that when I scored some sugar-free Kahlua flavoring and some espresso coffee grounds, I went to work!
These small bites are so positively delicious and filling that even my kids (who dislike coffee typically), went a little nutty, savoring these as an afternoon pick-me-up (you knew that pun was coming, my friends).
Oh yeah…and there are delicious, decadent mocha truffles to be had.
9 ounces (255 grams) 85% dark chocolate, finely chopped (I use Lindt)
3/4 cup canned, unsweetened coconut milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons instant espresso granules blended with
2 tablespoons Kahlua (or vanilla) sugar-free Syrup
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons coconut milk
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
6 tablespoons sugar equivalent (I used Just Like Sugar)
1. Place chocolate in medium mixing bowl.
2. In heavy medium saucepan, bring cream and butter to a simmer.
3. Pour hot cream mixture over chopped chocolate.
4. Stir coffee mixture into chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth.
5. Refrigerate until firm enough to form into balls (about 2 hours).
6. To make the coating, melt butter in microwave with cream, about 30 seconds, stirring at 15 or 20 seconds (you don’t want to fry the cream and butter, but merely melt them).
7. Stir in cocoa and sweetener, working in all ingredients.
8. Roll cold mini cakes in chocolate, coating thoroughly (I use a spoon).
9. Chill on waxed paper until ready to serve.
10. Keep refrigerated.
Makes 36 Truffles.
Per Truffle: 78 Cals.; 3 g Carbs.; 2 g Fiber; 1 g Net Carbs. ; 1 g Protein; 8 g Fat
Just Like Sugar Tabletop Sweetener
Price: $19 for each (roughly) 1 pound online.
Usefulness: Whenever you need an all-natural sweetener that is mostly fiber, not filler
Downside: It’s a little spendy
Found: Online or through stores like Whole Foods
Website: Just Like Sugar
Disclosure: Just Like Sugar has provided their product free of charge for review, but this has not affected my review of the item.