Individual Lemon Meringue Custards

YourLighterSideRecipeImg21

Can you feel that Spring freshness in the air? Then it’s time to get your lemon meringues on! These sweet treats are fun to make. They might feel a little tricky, especially if you’ve never mastered the meringue. Never fear; simply make half of a batch to test your mettle and then go full throttle for some kicking lemon goodness!

Tip: Don’t have arrowroot flour? No worries! Use cornstarch instead! The number of carbohydrates aren’t that much different.

doodle

Individual Lemon Meringue Custards

Filling
1 1/2 cup granular sugar substitute
1 TBSP arrowroot flour (or cornstarch)
1 1/2 cups water
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup lemon juice

Meringue
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 tbsp granular sugar substitute
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

To make the filling: Lightly beat egg yolks in small mixing bowl. Set aside.

Mix sweetener with arrowroot in medium saucepan; slowly mix in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens and boils. Boil, stirring for one minute (at this point add more arrowroot if needed). Remove from heat and carefully add half of heated mixture to yolks. Stir to combine ingredients. Pour mixture back into saucepan. Over medium heat, boil and stir another minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and lemon juice.

Pour into four 3/4 cup-1 cup ramekins.

To make the meringue: Beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed in a mixing bowl until frothy, about 2-3 minutes. Add sweetener, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff. Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.

Spoon meringue hot pie filling, making sure to seal the edges of the custard with the meringue to keep from shrinking. Bake 6-8 minutes or until meringue is just lightly browned. Cool away from drafts and refrigerate.

Share. Maybe.

Makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 150 Cals.; 7 g Carbs.; 0 g Fiber; 7 g Net Carbs. ; 5 g Protein; 12 g Fat

Comments

1. Love your recipes, but really wish you had links to Pinterest or zip list.

2. Tammy Schmidt says:

Definitely trying this! lemon is my absolute favorite dessert flavor…. Yummy!
    What is you personal “go to” sweetener? I use the yellow stuff for desserts but was wondering about a different and possibly better alternative.

Thanks so much!

Tammy (from Arkansas)

3. Veronica Huskins says:

This sounds yummy! Must try it.

4. I always find that I have trouble with meringues when I use the Ideal sweetener as Xylitol doesn’t like to dissolve in cool/room temperature things. It also doesn’t brown for me so I end up with baked marshmallows (which are odd). Have you ever had this happen? Your meringue in here looks perfect and not all bubbly like mine gets. Hmm

5. Lorraine says:

What about using white rice flour for this recipe? I found it at my grocery store but am having a hard time finding recipes!

6. Leslie Sullivan says:

I am SO EXCITED about lemon!! Lemon is definitely my favorite! Do you have any ideas on how to also make this induction friendly? I don’t know much about arrowroot flour. I know the lemons have some sugar in them, but I know they are OK in moderation. This would be a lovely spring or summer treat! And is the 7 net carbs with arrowroot flour? Or with cornstarch?

7. These look delicious! Hard to believe it is only 150 calories per serving, although I am guessing if I finished a batch I would be eating a lot more than one :)

8. OMG!

9. This looks awesome, cant wait to try it :-)
    Would also love to see your pics of your awesome weight loss :-)

10. Joan Mercantini says:

Don’ t you feel that almost two cups of sweetener for four serving is an awful lot for this recipe. Can’t help but wonder how this would contribute to a healthy diet.

• Seeing as desserts are: 1. occasional treats, 2. and that the amount of sweetener is over the entire recipe and can be lessened, I doubt many would see issues with it! Thanks for asking!

11. I love anything lemon.

12. These look marvelous, Jamie. I have some Meyer lemons on hand and would like to try them in this recipe. :)

13. Trishanna says:

I decided to try this and I thought that everything was going well but when I took them out of the oven, the custard part was no longer solid, please tell me what I did wrong. Thank you so much!

• Oh no! It shouldn’t have broken down… I am not sure what went wrong. Refrigeration didn’t help it to set up again?

• Trishanna says:

Unfortunately no, I am thinking its either the sugar substitute I used maybe didn’t hold up or I cooked it too long in the oven or maybe not enough corn starch? Still taste good, I am going to try again soon! Thank you for all the healthy recipe options, I really have been appreciating being able to try new things.

14. I’d like to lower the carb count in this, do you think konjac flour would sub for the arrowroot/cornstarch? I also have some oat fiber I could use or maybe a combo of each. Both of these are all fiber.

15. I’m definitely going to make these! I’m also going to experiment w/some of Candice’s cupcake recipes for my sweet man’s birthday coming up…as a surprise! I don’t want to use Splenda, and your recipe here says your favorite granular sweetener. What works best to give the best, closest-to-sugar taste? I really prefer natural sweeteners. I’ve never used erythritol or xylitol. What do you think of these?

Thanks! LOVE your site and recommend it to everyone!

Robin

16. Could I use coconut sugar?