Consuming water absorbent foods helps detoxify the body’s system. Incorporating these foods into your diet will not only keep you feeling full longer, it will also help to curb your appetite. Not to mention, they will keep you feeling slim all summer long.
– Chia Seeds: Once a staple food of the Aztecs, these little black seeds offer a high natural source of Omega-3s, which is proven to lower fattening stress hormones like cortisol. Chia seeds are also rich in antioxidants, minerals, fiber and protein. They can easily be added to any meal; whether it is sprinkling on salads or veggies, or mixing them in yogurt, or shakes.
– Apricots: Replacing refined sugars (such as those found in white pasta or white rice), with carbohydrates from fruits will reward your waistline. Not only do apricots have high levels of antioxidants like Vitamin C and beta-carotene, the water-absorbing fiber helps you stay full and fends off belly fat. If you are currently in the uber low carb phase, you might need to hold off on the fruits for now though.
– Oatmeal: This tried and true breakfast dish is a favorite for a reason. Oatmeal contains soluble fiber, which means it attracts water and stays in your stomach longer. This helps reduce blood cholesterol by flushing bad digestive acids out of your system. It is most beneficial to eat unsweetened oatmeal because the added sugars in sweetened oatmeal cancel out the health benefits. I like to add a little almond milk for flavor is the best option.
– Broccoli: A highly nutritious green vegetable, broccoli is packed with vitamins and minerals and is very high in fiber. The vegetable is a great choice for those looking to slim down during the summer months as broccoli has enzymes that assist in digestion and metabolism.
– Almonds: Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats and rich in the minerals magnesium and selenium, all of which have been shown to support adrenal function and boost metabolism. In addition, they keep you satisfied and full for a long time. Be cautious of salted or smoked nuts which contain a lot of sodium as it can cause bloating. A handful of raw almonds a day will keep the belly fat away!