Better Buttery Blueberry Buckle Recipe
Buckle up for this delicious, delectable dessert made with blueberries!One of the things I love about what I do is having the ability to work with some amazing companies and try new products.
Dole’s Frozen Fruit Single-Serve Cups are an easy, healthy way to score frozen fruits for later. I found the blueberries locally in the freezer case an used them for the recipe (below), and they’re terrific! Each cup of fruit has no sugar added and is frozen using a patent-pending technology to minimize texture-loss during defrost. The blueberries I sampled have a perfect, fresh appearance, taste and texture. After using slimy, frozen blueberries that didn’t defrost as I would hope they would, I am sold on this product.
I love this product so much, they have graciously given me two free product coupons to share with readers valued at $2.79 each! Read below to learn more.
I have always wanted to make a blueberry buckle, so what better opportunity than when I had Dole Blueberries in my freezer. I simply thawed the fruit and used both cups to make an amazing batch of what I can only describe as a flavor-filled romp through the land of blueberries, cinnamon and streusel.
A buckle is essentially an old-fashioned coffee type cake with a streusel, and I wanted one yesterday to celebrate making final edits to a manuscript I’ve been toiling over for months! The aroma of this dessert made the entire house smell like heaven. The hardest part was getting my husband and daughter to leave the cake overnight so that the flavors could meld together and settle.
This recipe is vegetarian friendly, sugar-free, gluten-free, and weighs in at only 6 net carbsfor a heaping helping of flavor and texture.
|Better Buttery Blueberry Buckle Recipe|
- Cake batter:
- 3/4 cup sugar equivalent substitute
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy white cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup unflavored protein powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup nut meal
- 1/2 cup sugar equivalent substitute
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp heavy white cream
- 1/4+ cup powdered sugar equivalent substitute
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make the buckle, in a large mixing bowl combine butter and sugar equivalent substitute. Add egg, cream, and water. Next, mix in salt and baking powder. Incorporate almond, coconut and protein powder. Add blueberries and mix them in. Batter will be thick.
- Smooth evenly into a buttered 9X9″ cake pan or casserole dish.
- To make the streusel, combine nut meal, sugar equivalent substitute and butter. Sprinkle over batter. Press lightly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake has raised slightly and the top has browned. Let rest overnight.
- Prepare glaze by combining sugar equivalent substitute with heavy white cream until a thick glaze drops from the spoon in a semi-thick drizzle. Let rest overnight in the refrigerator to allow sweetener granules to break down in the liquid, forming a thicker liquid.
- Drizzle glaze over squares of buckle as served.
- Refrigerate or freeze remaining portions.
I use three kinds of flour in the form of powdered almond flour, coconut flour and unflavored whey protein powder because they work together better than on their own.
You can sub flax in place of the protein powder (try 3/4 of the amount).
I use the Ideal/Kroger co-brand of sweetener in the purple bag. It measure cup-for-cup like sugar and gives me the best results.
I bake at a high altitude here in Denver, so what takes me a shorter time to cook might take you slightly longer. Be sure to check your times and check for browning.
Use powdered sweetener for the glaze. Again, I use the Ideal/Kroger co-brand, but you can powder erythritol or xylitol for similar results.
Let this dish rest overnight to allow flavors to meld and the texture to reach perfection.
Dole Frozen Fruit Single-Serve Cups
Price: $2.49-2.79 for 2 single-serve cups
Usefulness: Anywhere fresh fruit is desired, packed in lunches
Negative: Can be hard to find, so check their website for a store locator
Store Locator: Where to buy
Website: Dole Frozen Fruit Cups
Special offer: Get a coupon for $1 off of two packages of Dole Fruit Single-serve Cups
Dole’s Shake it Up Summer Tour hit the road this summer for an eight-city mobile sampling tour with healthy snacks in support of local Boys and Girls Club Chapters. Kicked off on May 16, Dole’s Fit Kid Initiative encourages kids to eat 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables per day and be physically active for at least 30 minutes per day.
Want to win a coupon for your own Dole Frozen Fruit Single-serve Cups (value $2.79)? Simply use the Contact form up top to enter! But act fast: Winners will be chosen at noon MST, 7/13 and contacted via email. Two winners will be chosen at random and mailed a coupon each. Winning totals $2.79 each!
Disclosure: This product was provided free of charge for review by a sponsor, but has not affected my opinion of the stuff.