Now, these might not be the prettiest little doggies you’ve seen in a month of Sundays, but believe me when I tell you they’re the tastiest.
I remember laying on my mom’s bed watching TV in the early 80’s the first time she called me out for lunch and served crescent rolls served around hot dogs. I was ecstatic. My culinary world had instantly been opened from Hungry Man TV dinners to this Pillsbury delicacy, dipped in ketchup and dancing on my 10 year old taste buds.
|These are stuffed dogs, so they cradle the toppings perfectly.|
Fast forward, and I’m still kicking myself in the butt wishing I had an easy, fun way to eat a hot dog in a wrap.
And then it hit me.
Cow Dogs in a Blanket
For the Dogs
All beef hot dogs (I use Hebrew National)
red onion, minced
cheddar cheese, thin slivers
bacon, sliced into thin strips
1. Cut a slit lengthwise down each hot dog
2. Fill with onion and cheese. Top with bacon strips.
3. Set aside.
For the Blankets
2 cups cooked beef, chicken or turkey, chopped
2 cups cheese (I use a mix of mozzarella and cheddar)
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Place beef and cheese in food processor and pulse until chopped.
3. Spray pan.
4. Spread mixture to form 10″ squares or circles.
5. Bake 5-10 minutes until crusts cook.
6. Remove from oven.
7. Once barely cool enough to handle, run spatula around edges to flip. Let rest for 3 minutes.
8. Cut squares on the diagonal. Leave circles whole.
9. Wrap dogs in shells, placing seam sides down.
10. Heat in oven for 5-7 minutes on 375 degrees F or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, checking often.
11. Optional: To prepare plates, shake ketchup and mustard thoroughly to prevent watery discharge. Squirt decorative lines on plates.
I have to chuckle a bit, because in your luscious-looking pic, the dog looks like it's sticking out its tongue and panting. I will be teaching my 6-year-old to assemble these (after her older sibs or I do the chopping!)
Ha ha! You're right! He really looks the part. He just needs a couple of black olive slices for his eyes.
Well isn't that just the cleverest little thing! Must try this for lunch this week.
Your Lighter Side says
Thank you so much! I need to take a better picture.It tasted absolutely amazing… It just isn't that pretty…
Jamie my Dear
you have done it again..
i just pulled cooked chicken from the freezer and did not know what way I wanted to go with it..
soo this is it my dear.. I will add some of my home canned S.F pork and beans to go with.
Thanks so much
you faithful follower
Your Lighter Side says
You are so sweet! I think what you're planning sounds so delicious.
How many does this recipe serve?